The kids in Baltimore are on winter break this year from December 22, 2017-January 1, 2018. Make the most of this time with our list of holiday happenings and wintry activities perfect for the whole family! From skating to science and more, you can have a new adventure everyday if you'd like!
Here’s a look at 10 awesome things to do with kids in Baltimore during winter break this year:
- Located at 1301 York Rd. Lutherville, MD 21093
- When: November 5 & December 2, 9, 16, & 27-30, 2017; 10:00am-4:00pm
This year, expose your children to a centuries-old tradition at the Fire Museum of Maryland (located in nearby Lutherville). Here, the whole family can take in the sights of their annual Holiday Train Garden, complete with a working fire, multiple operating trains, and even scale models of familiar local businesses. A treat for all ages, a viewing of the Holiday Train Garden is certainly a unique way to spend winter break.
- Located at the Top of the Amphitheater, Inner Harbor, Located between the Harborplace Pavilions (201 E. Pratt St. Baltimore, MD 21202)
- When: November 10, 2017-January 15, 2018; 12:00pm-10:00pm Monday-Thursday, 12:00pm-11:00pm Friday, 10:00am-11:00pm Saturday, 10:00am-8:00pm Sunday (Click Here for Special Holiday Hours)
Back for another magical season, the Pandora Ice Rink at Baltimore’s Inner Harbor is perfect for getting your kids up and moving. Teach them the basics of skating, race them in some healthy competition, or just glide along with them. No matter what you do, you are sure to make memories that will last the whole year.
- Located at 7 S. Calvert St. Baltimore, MD 21202
- When: December 8-23, 2017
An original take on an immortal classic, the Chesapeake Shakespeare Company’s production of A Christmas Carol reaches its final performances on Friday December 22 at 2:00pm & 8:00pm and Saturday, December 23 at 2:00pm & 8:00pm. Celebrate Christmas (and the kickoff to winter break) with a tale filled with heart, holiday spirit, and an unmistakable Baltimore charm that everyone will love.
- Located at 901 W. Pratt St. Baltimore, MD 21223
- When: December 18-31, 2017
Once that final school bell rings, take the kids to the B&O Railroad Museum for some festive fun. As part of their Magical Holiday Express series, Winterfest Wonderland is going on from December 18-31. Kids can enjoy train rides, crafts, and activities that are sure to keep their little hands and minds busy and get everyone (kids and parents alike) into the holiday spirit.
- Located at 601 Light St. Baltimore, MD 21230
- When: December 21, 2017-January 1, 2018
Let your little ones’ imaginations run wild this winter break with 12 Days of Science at the Maryland Science Center. Each day is packed with a new festive theme and new activities, from building challenges to “Summer in December” and much, much more. Kids can even ring in the new year with their own “Midnight Noon” New Year’s Eve party. Free with paid admission to the Science Center, 12 Days of Science is an event your child won’t want to miss.
- Pick-up and Drop-off Point: Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Hotel (550 Light St. Baltimore, MD 21202)
- When: December 1, 2017-January 1, 2018; 6:30pm & 8:00pm Thursday-Sunday
A delight for old and young alike, enjoy some holiday cheer on a Holly Jolly Trolley Tour. On this tour, you and your family will be driven through some of Baltimore’s most popular neighborhoods and exposed to all of the sights, sounds, and history that make this area so special around Christmas. Click here for a list of available dates and to schedule your trolley tour now.
- Located at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall (1212 Cathedral St. Baltimore, MD 21201)
- When: 8:00pm December 22, 2017; 3:00pm & 8:00pm December 23, 2017
A jaw-dropping twist on the traditional orchestra concert, the Cirque de la Symphonie Holiday Spectacular is a “treat for the eyes and ears.” Join the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra for a night of music complete with acrobats, contortionists, jugglers, and many other circus favorites. Afterwards, meet in the lobby for festive food, drinks, and a visit from Santa Claus himself. Perfect for all ages, this show is sure to wow even the youngest critics.
- Located at 35 Market Pl. Baltimore, MD 21202
- When: December 26-30, 2017
A break from school doesn’t have to mean a break from learning! This winter break, drop your kids by the Port Discovery Children’s Museum everyday (from December 26-30) for some great hands-on educational programs. A winter-themed puppet show, the Wildlife Adventures Petting Zoo, and a seasonal twist on their award-winning literacy program are just a few of the things kids can enjoy during Winter Break Week. They’ll have tons of fun and flex their brain muscles all at once!
- Located at 600 N. Charles St. Baltimore, MD
- When: December 27-29, 2017; 11:00am-4:00pm
Just in time for winter break, the Walters Art Museum has added three new drop-in activities that kids can participate in from December 27-29. Collages inspired by the Impressionists, prayer flags for the new year, and tapestries all encourage creativity, expression, and an appreciation for the beautiful and varied forms that make up both modern and classic art.
- Located at 501 E. Pratt St. Baltimore, MD 21202
Kick off winter break in style with a visit to the National Aquarium. Here, you and the family can catch a showing of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in their 4-D theater, complete with special effects that engage all of the senses. See a holiday classic like you’ve never seen it before at the National Aquarium this season!
Searching for more wintry inspiration?
Take a moment to explore our blog:
Instead of running away from the "winter blahs," embrace the chill at these great ...
The holidays are a great time to support local businesses, so while you make your list (an...